Rampant Heathen

Fee, fi, fo, fum; I smell the blog of an Englishman.

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

I've been on blogthings.com and they had a whole section devoted to "You know you're x when you y". So, I thought I'd c&p some of the applicable lists here.


You know you're British when...

You believe that Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday are all good nights for drinking. Sunday day is also entirely reasonable. But of course!

You're always a half an hour late to work ... no-one notices or cares. More true than it ought to be.

Coming to work with a hangover is entirely accepted and indeed expected at least once a week. True again.

You can actually give directions to some of those annoying tourists in Oxford Street! True but I avoid Oxford Street like the Plague.

You step over a drunk in the tube station rather than offering to help them. Well God knows what they've got.

You don't even bother looking out of the window when you get up in the morning to check what the day is like. You know it is overcast. I don't even bother opening the curtains anymore.

You consider a suit to be normal attire for the pub. Yes. Are you suggesting it isn't?

You expect men to actually cut, comb and style their hair (using hair products). And to wear decent clothes. Again... are you suggesting to the contrary? Could you imagine me with messy hair? ME?

You dissolve in laughter when listening to the funny accent of the Aussie international telephone operator (or on TV!). Aussies are hilarious.

You think ?40 for a haircut is quite reasonable. Forty dollars yes, forty pounds no. Maybe for women's haircuts.

You can't remember what 'customer service' means. It means a spotty teenager gurgling down the reciever at you.

After a big night out you find yourself looking for a Curry house. Or a kebabish.

More than three hours sunlight on summer days seems excessive. I quite quickly tire of bright sunlight.

You don't think twice about tipping your hairdresser. Well, as a waiter, I sympathise.

You finish every sentence with 'Cheers' or 'Yeah'. Yeah, cheers.

You only just realise you have lost your sunnies, you left them in Greece 2 summers ago. I'm not sure I've ever owned a pair of sunglasses. No wait I did! I bought them for a ski trip and left them somewhere in the Alps.

You like English cuisine. I mean, it's hard to beat a full English breakfast. Mmm bacon...

You are on to your 6th umbrella and your second overcoat... this year. Second coat is scarily accurate. I don't bother with umbrellas though. (My hairwax waterproofs my 'do, if you were wondering.)

You've bought a disposable baby BBQ from Tesco. Lol yes!

A day at the beach means wearing the warmest clothes you own while standing on golf ball-size pebbles and the thought of swimming doesn't even enter your head. Brighton...

You always call soccer football and you have a team and it's not Manchester United. Most definitely on every count. Only foreigners support United (and British plebs but we don't like them.)

You don't think twice about buying a packaged sandwich. Why not?

A sunny lunchtime means searching for a patch of grass and stripping off practically down to your underwear. I don't need the sun for an excuse baby!

You've accepted queuing as a way of life. No, I carry a machine gun.

You believe that every American is a fatass addicted to hamburgers and hotdogs. THEY ARE!

You despise the French (but then, who doesn't?). I try not to be narrow minded about it, but every French person I've ever met has - without exception - been a complete pillock.



You're a Londoner when...

You say "the city" and expect everyone to know which one. Other 'cities' are mere imitations. And poor ones at that.

You have never been to The Tower or Madame Tussauds but love Brighton. I used to work at MT actually.

You can get into a four-hour argument about how to get from Shepherds Bush to Elephant & Castle at 3:30 on the Friday before a long weekend, but can't find Dorset on a map. Is that in Exeter?

Hookers and the homeless are invisible. Get out of my way!

You step over people who collapse on the tube. See above.

You believe that being able to swear at people in their own language makes you multi-lingual. I also know a few footballing terms in Spanish. Aren't you proud?

You've considered stabbing someone. All the time.

Your door has more than three locks. We have scousers living across the road :

Your favourite movie has Hugh Grant in it. I don't think he was in Dude Wheres My Car. But I do like About A Boy, though I suppose that's because I like the book.

You consider eye contact an act of overt aggression. More often than not, it is.

You call an 8' x 10' plot of patchy grass a garden. Well lets see how big a garden you can get in London, you snotty bastard.

You know where Karl Marx is buried. Highgate, if I'm not mistaken.

You consider Essex the "countryside". Well what do you call it? Other than Chav spawning ground.

You think Hyde Park is "nature." Well... it is... sort of...

You're paying ?1,200 a month for a studio the size of a walk-in wardrobe and you think it's a "bargain." Depends on the location.

Shopping in suburban supermarkets and shopping malls gives you a severe attack of agoraphobia. They're too fucking big!

You've been to Tooting twice and got hopelessly lost both times. I have no idea where Tooting is. I've heard of it though.

You pay more each month to park your car than most people in the UK pay in rent. Probably.

You haven't seen more than twelve stars in the night sky since you went camping as a kid. I don't even look at stars. What's the point?

You own hiking boots and a 4WD vehicle, neither of which have ever touched dirt. That's quite true of my boots actually. Although in my defence I only acquired a taste for them on the 14 Peaks Challenge.

You haven't heard the sound of true absolute silence since 1977, and when you did, it terrified you. I wasn't alive. And silence would be strange.

You pay ?3 without blinking for a beer that cost the bar 28p. Well... they've got to make their money. They have to pay for the premisis etc.

You actually take fashion seriously. No I live in my jeans thanks.

Being truly alone makes you nervous. True.

You have 27 different menus next to your telephone. True.

The UK west of Heathrow is still theoretical to you. I drove to Cornwall once. (Yes! He's actually been out of London!)

You're suspicious of strangers who are actually nice to you. Definitely true.

You haven't cooked a meal since helping mum last Christmas with the turkey. Not even then mate.

Your idea of personal space is no one actually standing on your toes. Always a bonus.

?50 worth of groceries fit in one paper bag. Yes I've noticed that. Bit of a bastard.

You have a minimum of five "worst cab ride ever" stories. Mostly because it's the only way to get home when you're blind drunk and motion sickness sets in.

You don't hear sirens anymore. True.

You've mentally blocked out all thoughts of the city's air quality and what it's doing to your lungs. I don't think I've ever even thought of that.

You live in a building with a larger population than most towns. No I live in a house.

Your cleaner is Russian, your grocer is Korean, your deli man is Israeli, your landlord is Italian, your laundry guy is Chinese, your favourite bartender is Irish, your favourite diner owner is Greek, the watch-seller on your corner is Senegalese, your last cabbie was Pakistani, your newsagent is Indian and your favourite falafel guy is Egyptian. Wtf is a falafel?

You wouldn't want to live anywhere else until you get married. I wouldn't want to marry if it meant leaving London.

You say 'mate' constantly. Me? Never.

Anyone not from London is a 'wanker'. Yeah that's you, Ania.

Anyone from outside London and north of the Watford Gap is a 'Northern Wanker'. And that's you, Sly.

You have no idea where the North is. -points- that sort of direction.

You see All Saints in the Met Bar (again) and find it hard to get excited about it. I've never seen them there actually and I used to go there a fair bit.

The countryside makes you nervous. It smells of shit.

Somebody speaks to you on the tube and you freak out thinking they are a stalker. What possible reason could they have to speak to me?

You talk in postcodes. "God, it was really warm round SW1 the other day". I haven't known the weather to vary across London, but I do tend to say "I drove through E8," or "He lives in N1," etc.




Ethan's Aliases



Your movie star name: Watermelon Robert

Your fashion designer name is Ethan Berlin

Your socialite name is Spazmo Prague

Your fly girl / guy name is E De

Your detective name is Tiger Latymer

Your barfly name is Sugar Snaps Margherita

Your soap opera name is Damien Stean

Your rock star name is Chocolate Speedy Gonzales

Your star wars name is Ethpip De sly

Your punk rock band name is The Tired African Tribal Vase


1 Comments:

At Tuesday, July 26, 2005 4:36:00 pm, Blogger Slythergenic said...

"I used to work at MT actually."

In the sexied up words of Slughorn. Oho. Oho.

Madame T's! After my first year at university, I some how still had a lot of money, so Caz and I decided to spend a week doing toursity things. We went to the London Dungeon where a charming dungeon stooge offered me "the plague for free!". We then decided to go to the planetarium as I had been there when I was about 6 and absolutely "loved" it.

Hah.

Maybe I took drugs when I was a kid but was it always that rubbish? You dont even get to lie down on the floor anymore.

Anywhoo, this was last summer. If you worked there last summer, you may know of the freaky beatnik ticket man we encountered. I shall call him Igor. Basically I gave Igor my planetarium ticket and said "Is it [said amount of money] to go see the wax people?"

Igor: This is a planetarium ticket love.

Me: Yes, I know that. But how much is it for the wax musuem?

Igor: No, see. Your ticket is for the planetarium. Not the wax museum.

Me: I know that! I was just wondering at the extortionist "rape me I'm a tourist" prices you have. We dont even want to go see the wax people.

Igor: You dont? I can get you in to see them you know.

Me: Huh?

Igor *dropping voice and leaning forwards*: The wax people.

Me: Hmm

Then we followed him whilst he pointed at us and said "tut tut these two lost their tickets". And we got to the see the wax people for free! The only drawback was that everyime we left a room or a ride, he was always waiting. Watching and waiting in the shadows.
SO I BLUDGEONED HIM TO DEATH WITH A WAX AXE.

*cough*

I too avoid Oxford Street like the plague. I preferred living on actual Plague Street. Though it's official name is King Street. If you've never been to Tooting and got lost, lol thats uncannily accurate (Home of St. Georges, the other other medical school) maybe you've never been to Hammersmith. There was never a dull night on my street. I lived opposite a 24/7 food shit house, and above a cafe, five doors away from a cinema and there was even a PRIMARK. Haha, student heaven. Oh and there was a park, which I only discovered a month before leaving. Our rambo landlord refused to give me double glazing, as my room faced the street so I would be awake till 4 am listening to the chavs from palais sing Blazin Squad as they waited for the bus.

*eye twitches*


Haha we have also purchased one of those tesco mini bbqs!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home